This course will deliver a comprehensive understanding of modern directional drilling techniques and the industry standards used in well placement.
The evolution of directional drilling tools and techniques that are used to achieve high accuracy well positioning are detailed with reference to the fundamental engineering that underlies the equipment we work with, and the procedures and practices we work to.
This is very much an operationally focused course which looks to deliver a detailed understanding of not just the narrow field of the Directional Driller’s work, but all the associated areas of risk that can result from the practices, tools and techniques that they may use.
The knowledge from this course can be directly applied to ongoing drilling operations or future well planning and will have a dramatic impact on drilling performance.
All the topics are placed in their operational context and an understanding of how each topic is inter-related with the other subject areas in the course is developed throughout the week.
Throughout the course areas in which directional drilling can adversely impact the well cost or increase the well risk are detailed and the mitigations for these risks are discussed.
Course Level: Foundation
Duration: 08 days
Designed for :
- A drilling engineer, well site supervisor, tool pusher, rig manager or field support personnel
- A geoscientist or reservoir engineer looking to get better value from your interactions with the drilling team
- A professional involved in improving drilling performance and cutting drilling costs
How we build your confidence
- Practical demonstrations of all the key principles using models and simulations in the classroom
- Mixed instructor-led delivery of theoretical content with blend of PowerPoint overview, whiteboard explanations of detail and class interactive exercises
- A narrative that runs through the course where each topic is inter-related and built on the previous learnings
- Extensive allowance for class-led questioning within the course delivery
The benefits from attending
By the end of the course you will feel confident in your understanding of:
- Why life-threatening well-to-well collisions happen and how even large technically driven companies make mistakes. You will be given the knowledge to understand how to avoid these catastrophic events
- How the role of the Industry Steering Committee on Wellbore Surveying Accuracy has shaped the requirements for modern well placement. You will understand what these standards are and why we must work to them
- When to use high cost technology like rotary steerable systems and when these systems are of little value
- How to push the drilling envelope further and increase the drilling radius of any rig to deliver more fluids back to the asset
- How to use the evolving science of geomechanics alongside the increasing volume of formation evaluation while drilling data is available in real time to deliver substantially lower NPT on any drilling project
- How to work with a geology team to geo-place or geo-steer a well path within specific lithologies or a specific fluid type
- Lectures 12
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 days
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes